Configuration management encompasses the technical and administrative activities concerned with the creation, maintenance, controlled change and quality control of the scope of work.
It is a form of IT service management (ITSM) as defined by ITIL that ensures the configuration of system resources, computer systems, servers and other assets are known, good and trusted. Configuration management involves a high degree of automation to achieve these goals. This is why we use tool Ansible
Ansible - automation engine
- Optimization of IT staff activities through automation reduced IT staff time spent “keeping the lights on”, freeing up valuable staff resources for business-related initiatives.
- Reduction of downtime caused by system outages, cyber attacks, security intrusions, and change and configuration activities.
- Optimization of IT operations reduces costs in multiple areas, including infrastructure, outsourced services and management software.
- Ensuring that the software can be reliably released at any time.
- Configuration versioning to keep the track of all changes for easy updates and rollbacks.